Launch of five new IPBES assessments
Medellín (Colombia). The Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES) has launched five new assessments that report on the state of biodiversity worldwide. Among the authors are scientists from the iDiv research centre.
The sixth session of the IPBES Plenary (#IPBES6) took place from Saturday, March 17, 2018 to Saturday, March 24, 2018 in Medellín, Colombia. It considers, among other businesses, four draft regional assessment reports on biodiversity and ecosystem services (one each for Africa, the Americas, Asia and the Pacific and Europe and Central Asia), as well as a draft assessment report on land degradation and restoration. These five major new assessment reports have been prepared over three years. Together these scientifically peer-reviewed reports are the single most important expert contribution to contemporary global and regional knowledge about biodiversity and ecosystem services.
The four regional assessments were launched on Friday, 23 March at 2pm CET and the assessment on land degradation was launched on Monday, 26 March at 3:30pm CEST.
The following iDiv employees and members are among the authors:
Global Assessment on Land Degradation and Restoration:
- Aletta Bonn (UFZ/iDiv): Lead author: Chapter 7 (Scenarios)
- Laetitia Navarro (iDiv/MLU): Lead author: Chapter 2 (Concepts and Perceptions)
Regional Assessment Asia-Pacific:
- Karsten Wesche (Senckenb./TUD/iDiv): Contributing author: Chapter 3 (Status and Trends)
- Josef Settele (UFZ/iDiv): Lead author: Chapter 4 (Drivers)
Regional Assessment Europe-Central Asia:
- Carlos Antonio Guerra (iDiv/MLU): Fellow: Chapter 3 (Status and Future of Biodiversity)
- Irene Ring (TUD/iDiv): Coordinating Lead author: Chapter 6 (Governance)
- Matthias Schröter (UFZ): Lead author: Chapter 2 (Nature’s Benefits to People)
- Marten Winter (iDiv/UL): Contributing author: Chapter 3 (Status and Trends) and Chapter 4 (Drivers)
IPBES media release on launch of regional assessments:
IPBES media release on launch of land degradation assessment:
Interview with Prof Aletta Bonn (UFZ/iDiv) by Nefo (Netzwerk Forum Biodiversität; in German):
Overview of all iDiv members active within IPBES:
Press release (in German) on land degradation assessment by Nefo (Netzwerk Forum Biodiversität):
Website of IPBES: