Supervision of PhD Students: The Impact of Feedback & Status Reviews on Doctorate Project Advancement
An important aspect for a successful PhD project is the appropriate guidance and support of doctoral candidates by their supervisors. This includes both giving the doctoral candidates regular and appropriate feedback and holding status reviews with them at defined intervals in the course of their research project.
In this workshop with a blended-learning-approach, you will get relevant background knowledge, easy-to-integrate tools and best-practice strategies to professionally promote PhD students in the execution of their project.
This workshop is aimed at iDiv members with supervision responsibility.
Objectives for Participating Supervisors
- Gain a better understanding of how to concretely and constructively affect the advancement of PhD students by regular integrated ways of feedback and reliably scheduled status reviews.
- Expand individual supervision competencies related to feedback and status reviewing and thus their self-confidence and assertiveness.
- Recognize the significant link between the basic need for feedback and
- motivation (vs. frustration),
- commitment (vs. unreliability) and
- project success (vs. project failure).
- Integrate feedback methods and status review interventions in the day-to-day supervision work.
Individual Coaching Sessions November 21st & 22nd, 2023
Participants of the mini-workshop are provided with the opportunity to bring up personal requests or concerns related to feedback and/or status reviews to individual coaching sessions (duration: 60 min). During the session, there will be an opportunity to develop person-specific and situational strategies.
Dr. Silke Oehrlein-Karpi has been a professional and experienced coach and trainer for scientists since 2008. Before becoming a coach, she worked as a biologist in the field of medical basic research for 10 years and led a project group for the Collaborative Research Centre 490 in Mainz. She is a member of the Coachingnetz Wissenschaft e.V.