Good Scientific Practice
The participants will get an overview about the rules of good scientific practice and the handling with cases of scientific misconduct, and will explore the differences and grey areas of questionable research practice. They will learn about local, national and international regulations and guidelines. It is a goal of the course to create space for reflexions about values and attitudes of science and the role of scientists. The participants will learn to develop appropriate solutions for difficult situations in the process of science.
The content of the course follows the curriculum “Good scientific practice” which was commissioned by and developed in cooperation with the German Research Ombudsman:
• Definitions of good scientific practice and scientific misconduct
• Degrees and extent of scientific misconduct
• Examples for responsible and irresponsible conduct of research
• Data management
• Authorship and the process of publication
• Mentoring and supervision
• Conflict management: how to deal with scientific misconduct
• Reactions to scientific misconduct
• Local, national and international guidelines and regulations
The course consists of case discussions, problem based learning in small groups, plenary discussion, and information input.