Introduction to Insect Digestion
1) Overview on Insect diversity and digestion: ecological niches, mouthparts and food consumption;
2) Overview on Insect nutrition: basic requirements during insect development;
3) General model of the insect digestive system: description of compartments and main functions;
4) Ultrastructure of insect digestive system: main types of cells and their functions;
5) Insect digestive enzymes: types and compartimentalization;
6) Specific characteristics of insects (pH, morphology, changes during development, detoxification, symbiosis).
Prof. Dr. Guilherme Duarte Rossi
... is an assistant professor at São Paulo State University (Unesp), School of Agricultural and Veterinarian Sciences, Jaboticabal, Brazil.
Dr. Henriette Uthe
organises and moderates this course. She is the coordinator of the research platform EcoMetEoR.