Teaching in Higher Education – Basic Workshop
The workshop will offer an introduction into the basics of teaching in higher education and is aimed at doctoral or postdoctoral researchers with none or first teaching experience. You will learn how to plan and conduct a course, and you will acquire basic knowledge of teaching methods, exam designs, and ways of giving feedback to students.
The workshop deals with the following topics in detail:
- Teaching is not learning: consequences for your work with students
- Selecting content for courses: criteria and strategies
- Designing a syllabus for an entire semester and organizing the individual sessions (didactics)
- Using teaching methods to convey subject matter (methodology)
- Which methods fit different types of courses (like lab training, seminars, exercise courses, lectures) and different contents?
- Conducting courses
- Teaching in a student- and research-centred manner
- Dealing with difficult situations
- Assessing and examining students
- Giving feedback
- Rethinking the role of the teacher
Lecturer in charge
Dr. Matthias Schwarzkopf
has been head of LehreLernen – the training centre for university teachers – at Friedrich Schiller University Jena. He is the founder of karriereberatung-akademiker.de.