Die Kurssprache unserer Sommerschulen ist Englisch. Bitte besuchen Sie daher unsere englischsprachige Seite für weitere Informationen.
* * *
The course language of our summer schools is English. Please visit our English webpage for more information.
This class was supported by DataCamp*.
Topic and objectives
In cooperation with the University of Tartu (UT), the Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ), the German Centre for Integrative Biodiversity (iDiv) and the Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg (MLU) organize a summer school in Estonia on pollination ecology. We invite students (Bachelor, Master or PhD level) from Germany and Romania to participate in this exciting event.
The summer school will teach students how to collect data on plant-pollinator networks in the field. The data will be analysed in order to quantify:
- the breeding system of a plant species
- the magnitude by which plant species are pollen limited
- the environmental and plant traits that correlate with pollen limitation
- the identity of the pollinating insects to broad taxonomic groups
- the structure of the plant-pollinator network for a community of co-flowering plant species.
The summer school will take place near Virtsu, Estonia (58.550556°, 23.601944°).
All statistical analyses and network analyses will be conducted using the programming language R. The language of the summer school is English.
2-6 July 2018 (5 full days)
Prof. Dr. Tiffany Knight (UFZ/MLU/iDiv): expertise in pollination ecology, experimental design
Lena Neuenkamp (UT): expertise in plant community dynamics and plant-soil interactions of biodiverse grasslands
Dr. Reinart Feldmann (UFZ): expertise in entomology
Valentin Stefan (UFZ/iDiv): expertise in statistics, R programming
- Bachelor students (in their final years), MSc students or PhD candidates in the fields of botany, ecology, entomology, or other related field
- Good English skills
- Motivation to learn in an intercultural working environment
Applications for the summer school can be submitted by 16 Febuary 2016.
Prospective participants of the summer school should send their application to Reinart Feldmann (Reinart.Feldmann@ufz.de). Please enclose the following documents in one PDF document:
- short CV (1 page), including detailed contact information
- statement (max. 1 page) explicitly addressing
- why you want to attend the summer school
- your research interests
- how you expect to benefit from this summer school
- your experience (if any) with statistics using R
- names of two people that can provide references
The summer school committee will select 10 summer school students (5 students each from Germany and Estonia).
extended until 28 February 2018
Costs and funding
Accomodation (including meals) will be provided at no cost. Travel expenses can be reimbursed after the summer school.
There is no course fee.
The school is funded by the Helmholtz Recruitment Initiative.
*DataCamp is a learning platform for data science (R, Python and SQL). It offers a combination of short expert videos and hands-on-the-keyboard exercises. Take over 100+ courses by expert instructors on topics such as importing data, data visualization or machine learning and learn faster through immediate and personalised feedback on every exercise.